Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jack Red reviews Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Hi everyone this is Jack Red, I decide to redo a review I did on YouTube on here as my last review I will ever do.

I'm going to review Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection as I found this to be the very collection game that Sega fans are going to love.

Before I start talking about the game itself I want to tell you the readers that I haven't played their last collection that was release on PS2 as well as PSP called Sega Genesis Collection due to tough decisions on what games to buy.

I'm glad I got that out of the way it's time to go nuts as a Sega freak tells you why you need to play this game.

There are forty Sega Genesis games with seven Arcade games and 2 Sega Master System games in total.

Wow Sega really went out of their way to make this their best collection yet critics are hitting Sonic as if he has rabies or was hyped up on sugar.

I personally love the Sega Genesis as that was my first console now I am familiar with what's better this or Nintendo Entertainment System which was a good console too.

I will hit each game in Alphabetical order so you know which ones I will be talking about during my review to prevent you getting loss.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
This game was okay in my opinion I didn't really like it as much as some of the games I grew up with however I do have to give it credit because this was the last game where Alex Kidd was Sega's mascot before Sonic the Hedgehog came around.

Alien Storm
One of the ports I have ever played as I personally enjoy playing beat em up games such as this one that I found to be a tough yet fun game to play however my problem with it was how hard it gets at the end I'm not kidding you need to mastered the game to be able to get past the final level.

Altered Beast
This was one of my child hood games I just love how much I got into it along with many other games in the genera as it was difficult to beat without dieing well to be honest the farthest I can get in the game with my default set of continues is level 4 where it gets really hard to survive.

Beyond Oasis
I'm going to be honest I'm not much for RPGs however this is an exception as it was a hack and slash with a good storyline however some puzzles will take you awhile to figure out.

Bonanza Bros.
Another good port to the Sega Genesis here is a true fact about my all time favorite console when it was release in America of 1989 which was the year I was born most original games available to play were ports.

Columns
Another game from my child hood I simply can't say how much I love this game as it still gets compared to Tetris which is okay in my book but this game only had one problem it never had a straight forward franchise like many of them you see either back in the day or today.

Comix Zone
I originally played this game in Sonic Mega Collection Plus an updated version that had some problems keeping it from being better than the original collection game on Game Cube well it's time for the problem it's difficulty is very high like for example when you need to beat barrels up it takes some of your health away.

Decap Attack
This game has quite a history behind it which also lead me to my problem with it as you didn't know at the time this game you were playing was originally Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure however it too was originally another game Psycho Fox on Sega Master System besides that it's a good child hood game of mine you will like.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Similar to Decap Attack it was another game before it got release in America that game you are wondering is Puyo Puyo which is a classic now for the record my mother loves this game she even said this was her favorite game.

Dynamite Headdy
This game at first didn't get my interest until I started playing it wow this was a good game that will take some time learning what each power up will do plus how to use them.

ESWAT: City Under Siege
I want to say this right now the game isn't a port of the Arcade game in fact they have some similaries however how a completely different storyline that has some of the best music I ever heard on Sega Genesis in my life.

Ecco the Dolphin
I remember the time I briefly played this as a child I wasn't good at it in fact there are people out there who don't know how to officially start the game.

Ecco: The Tides of Time
In this sequel to Ecco the Dolphin you got to play through more levels with better graphics though I didn't know how to officially start this game either.

Fatal Labyrinth
I don't know why some people like this game because it was too easy to get the achievement in the game as it don't take skills to do it nope it takes the patience of beating the ever loving shit of your enemies repeatedly.

Flicky
I originally played this in Sonic Mega Collection it's a great port that is forty eight levels long that will challenge you at the end now here is an interesting fact for you this game became inspiration for the Sonic team to make flickies in the Sonic series yeah I'm not kidding.

Gain Ground
I kinda like this game because it makes you think which character is the most helpful in the game no one has a clear answer to this question which surprise me however it will get hard as you go on making this a okay game though there are a couple of games on the console I would rather play than this.

Golden Axe
I had this in 6-Pak cartridge my god I fucking love Golden Axe one of the greatest beat em up series of all time in fact I think it was awhile before I got this collection game that I bought the Arcade version of it though that version wasn't better than the one I grew up playing that had Duel mode which is fun to play.

Golden Axe II
Some complain that this is a rehash of the original however it was easier to beat with some great music as well as having Duel mode available again I got to say I like this game a lot as it was one from my child hood.

Golden Axe III
Here is a game that most fans of the series didn't know about unless you had the modem at the time you would find out many years later that there was a sequel to Golden Axe 2 now they retooled the game play making it harder than that of the original game with Gilius coming back as a unplayable character wow however they did make up for it by having new characters.

Kid Chameleon
This game has to be one of the few games on the console that no one knows how long the game actually is I'm not joking it's because once you enter the maze at the end you will continuously play through levels until you finally find the exit to fight the final boss that is annoying though it is a good game.

Phantasy Star II
A classic for RPG fans out there I seen a whole run done on this game I was surprise that there's only four bosses in the entire game however I love the music as well as the story presented in this game.

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
The black sheep of Phantasy Star series mainly the original one because it looks like a Final Fantasy game rather than what the series usually looks like that includes space with fantasy anyway I'm blown away that there's three groups of characters you must play as in the entire game amazing.

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
I remember looking at the bosses for this game I just don't believe there are so many that it's no wonder why they made this the final game in the classic series with each game is getting bigger this one has to be up there for being one of the best Sega Genesis games of all time.

Ristar
The Sonic team made this game going through the same process with Sonic with Ristar it was a great game to have for your Sega Genesis however it will take you a few tries to beat the game which is fine as difficulty doesn't always means the game you are playing is going to suck right.

Shining Force
From what I heard this is a game that many fans of RPG are going to love because it has just about everything you need in a good game to keep you playing.

Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
This is a sequel to Shining Force that maybe some people played that it can be agreed that the original was better by how much I don't know what I do know is it's a game you want in your collection.

Shining in the Darkness
The title can be misleading because this was the original game in the Shining series it's funny how that works well besides that from what I heard it's another game I think you might be to include in your collection especially if you love either RPGs or the console itself.

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
I have to agree with people this was the best game in the series as it has everything you would want in a Shinobi game now this is a sequel to Revenge of Shinobi that can't be include due to copyright infringement which sucks because that is a good game too.

Sonic & Knuckles
This was the fifth game in the main series though it was the fourth one to be apart of the overall story I love this game a lot as you can put in the previous Sonic games to play a new game that is a lot of fun a very original idea by Sega.

Sonic 3D Blast
Not a lot of people like this game though I do because some of this version's music went into Sonic Adventure with classic sound effects from the previous Sonic games release on the console I just have one big complaint when you try jumping on platforms in the air it can be a pain making sure you can jump across besides that it was a fun game to play.

Sonic Spinball
Oh my god I hated this game so bad it was annoying as hell trying to beat it without question the hardest Sonic game release on Sega Genesis though the game itself is four levels long well there is another thing about it that pisses me off what happen to the level select code now it's just a code with you holding two buttons which will take you to the other levels.

Sonic the Hedgehog
This was a good game I know how bad Sonic is doing by today's standard but at the time this game broke new grounds even my dad loves playing this game that right there should tell you a lot.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The most sold Sega game of all time I got to say this was a personal favorite as well due to how fun they made this game with it's multiplayer how can't you not like Sonic 2.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3
In my opinion this can be the shortest Sonic game on the console due to how easy it is with a save feature though it wasn't the first game in the series to have that feature some of you fans out there know what I am talking about release on Sega CD Sonic CD which was an awesome game.

Streets of Rage
I still felt this was the hardest out of the three Streets of Rage games release because you need some time getting use to it's controls though don't do that in multiplayer or you will have to fight more boss characters in the entire game plus this one includes a twist you can take the deal to go back a few levels with the difficulty increase or just fight Mr. X to beat the game.

Streets of Rage 2
What a great game without question the best game in the entire series it has good improvements over the original with some of the greatest music I ever heard for the console however I think the common complaint about the game is what happen to the original game's special that becomes useless in the final level now you have special moves that will take away some of your health.

Streets of Rage 3
This has so much story that they ended up having two endings with Axel always going to be there to make Mr. X pay however this time was going to be different because you got some new characters with some hidden ones such as Shiva who was introduced in the last game now here is a true fact on the level you face Shiva before that in the Japanese version you'll face Ash who is gay that you can play as oh my god that is the worst thing about the game.

Super Thunder Blade
It plays very similar to Space Harrier except it's really hard to play I got to say I didn't like this one at all I'm sorry to upset some people but at least I tried to like the game.

Vectorman
Another classic on Sega Genesis it's remembered to be one of the best games to be on the console I got to say I love how fun it was to play though it is a tough game to beat.

Vectorman 2
This one has more levels with fewer bosses however the story takes after the original making this a good follow up to a good game I got to say being on this planet fighting bugs is a shock though like the previous game it's going to be hard to beat so be on your guard.

Now I just finished giving brief reviews on all the games on Sega Genesis it's time to do the Arcade classics that some of them are remembered to this day being some of the greatest games you will ever play that is a fact.

Alien Syndrome
I didn't like this game much I thought Zombies Ate My Neighbors was better now I'm saying that because it isn't rescuing all the people that is the problem nope it's finishing a boss fight in a smaller time limit than you have rescuing all the people what the fuck that is some serious bullshit right there.

Altered Beast
This version came a year before the Sega Genesis version did as I love playing this version more because you get infinite lives with more action I got to say it's a good game by all means.

Congo Bongo
Sega's answer to Donkey Kong now there are some similaries between the two though I got to say it was a okay game to play.

Fantasy Zone
This game was fun until it starts getting annoying I didn't like this game very much it's on my list on games you shouldn't play in this collection I'm dead fucking serious.

Shinobi
The original Shinobi was a great game however my main problem with it is once you enter mission 5 no more extra lives what you go has to do at that point in the game now it is understandable why they did that because it's difficulty will be high until you played it enough times to know when each enemies is going to be.

Space Harrier
I love this game Space Harrier gives you infinite credits to play through the game with a lot of boss fights I will tell you that I don't find anything wrong with this game as it is a lot of fun to play I call it a solid classic for Sega fans around the world.

Zaxxon
Oh my boy I wasn't good at this game it was annoying as all hell I tried liking this game but I just can't god damn it they made it a challenge to beat it mainly due to how much gas you have left that's right you can run out of gas in the game just like the NES version of Ghostbusters it's fucking bullshit man I don't like that shit at all screw this game all the way to hell I don't give a fuck it can kiss my ass.

After finishing the Arcade games I will do the last two games you can get in the game now these were release on Sega Master System which was a competitor to Nintendo Entertainment System at the time.

Before I start reviewing them it's obvious how NES beat SMS it's because the developers could make better games on it though SMS did have better graphics as well as audio that won't matter as NES had way more games that people grew up playing that they love to this day.

I never owned a SMS in my life though I did own an NES like many people at the time I love some of the classics I got however I didn't have a lot of games for it.

I'm getting off track here let's start talking about two classic RPGs on Sega Master System that did get some attention to them.

Golden Axe Warrior
One of the best spin offs of Golden Axe series that was called a Zelda clone it's funny because there was another spin off release on Game Gear also called a Zelda clone now I know what you all must be knowing is it going to suck nope it was a great game from what I can see.

Phantasy Star
Believe it or not outside of the United States this game was release on Sega Genesis known in other countries as Sega Mega Drive however in America we only had it on SMS which eventually got ported to numerous consoles like really good RPGs such as Chrono Trigger anyway this had a lot of story with great character.

I did some research about some things I can find negative to say about this collection in general well it isn't going to be that bad like how The Angry Video Game Nerd reviews a game or The Nostalgia Critic reviews a movie so don't get carried away with it.

1. On the back of the case I notice some one mislabled Sonic 3 by calling it Sonic 2 what who the fuck did that I guess who ever it was needs to pay some attention to his work not the ladies.

2. The achievements were easy to get as it was even easier to unlock everything in the game itself so you would think some of these are going to be hard to find out they're easy wow that blows a lot of people's minds doesn't it.

3. In my research I found out three games that were in Sega Genesis Collection aren't here were are Sword of Vermilion which I did grow up with, Ecco Jr a game that made for kids to love this dolphin and Virtua Fighter 2 that brings up the question why they aren't in this game.

4. Though they did announce with none of the lock-on games are in this collection it would've been nice to have them well maybe next time guys.

I hope you enjoy my review on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection I won't be coming back any time some due to important life decisions so until the day I come back this will be my last review I will see all of you later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment